Group Golf Events
The Golf Club at Equinox hosts all types of group outings, from corporate, charitable and wedding events, to amateur and professional tournaments. Reservations for groups of 12 or more may be made up to one year in advance. The professional golf staff will help you plan and coordinate all the necessary components for a successful outing. The Golf ClubAt Equinox isa perfect venue for Albany golf groups, Saratoga golf groups, Rutland golf groups, and even Burlington golf groups. Come enjoy a southern Vermont gem, and set a day trip on a championship golf course!
The following steps will help you start planning your event:
- Select a group coordinator or contact from your association, who will be the "go to" person for the professional staff.
- Select a time and date for your outing, as well as an alternative date in case your selection is already booked.
- Determine an approximate number of players (this number may be changed up to 14 days before the event).
Group Reservatino Procedures
Once you have completed the above steps you are ready to book the event. The first step will be a verbal agreement. After this is made and your outing date is confirmed, a contract will follow. The contract will need to be signed and returned within 15 days, in order to confirm the reservation.
Choosing the Group's Starting Time
The professional staff will help you determine the type of starting time that will work best your group. Some groups may be limited to what type of start due to group size.
- Tee Time Start: One foursome tees off every 8 minutes, this start works best for small to medium groups.
- Shotgun Start: All Foursomes begin play at the same time on a different hole, this start accommodates up to 128 players. A group minimum of 72 players is required for a 18 hole shotgun.
- Back Nine Shotgun or Mini Shotgun: For groups under the 72 minimum who would like to start at the same time. All foursomes begin play at the same time on a different hole, not using the entire golf course, groups usually start on the back nine of the golf course.
There are several factors to consider when choosing which format is best for your event. The professional staff can help you choose the one most suited for your group, this is usually based on the group’s skill level, experience, and size. The following list gives the most popular formats, please feel free to come up with your own format or ask us for further suggestions.
- Scramble Format: This is the best and most widely used format for most groups, as it allows players of all skill levels to compete together. This is a team event, with only one score per hole. Each player in the foursome hits their drive, the best shot of the four drives is selected, each player will hit their second shot from this location, and again the group will select the best shot. This format continues until the ball is holed out. Handicaps may or may not be used with this style of format.
- Best Ball Format: Each player plays their own ball for the entire hole, the best score of the foursome is recorded. This format can be modified to a two best ball format, where two scores are recorded for each hole. This format can also be used with or without handicaps.
- Shamble Format: This format is basically a combination of the scramble and best ball formats. On the tee shot only, the foursome chooses the best drive and drops their ball at this location, each player plays their own ball for the rest of the hole. The best score of the foursome is recorded. This is a popular format for a group that has a mix of high and low handicap players.
- Individual Stroke Play: This format is most often used for competitive golf tournaments. Each player plays their own ball for each hole and records their individual scores. Since each player is responsible for turning in an individual score, this format is usually not recommended for larger groups as it can lead to longer rounds. This format can also be frustrating to your group’s inexperienced golfers.
Golf Course Contests
- Closest to the pin: The Equinox has three great par 3 holes, # 4,#14 and #16. You can choose one, or all of them for a closest to the pin contest. Closest to the hole shots are measured with a tape measure, once measured, the player will record their name and distance on a proximity marker located to the side of the green. The player who hits the closest shot to the flagstick of all the players will be the winner for that hole.
- Long Drive: This works similar to the closest to the pin contest, except now the player with the longest drive in a designated fairway will be the winner. This is measured with a proximity marker, the player marks their name and leaves the stake where their drive landed. Anyone hitting a drive past the proximity marker will move it to that location. For the long drive most groups have a separate contest for men and women.
- Straightest Drive: In this contest, a line is placed down the center of the fairway. The winner is designated by the player who hits his or her tee shot closest to the line.
- Longest Putt: This contest can be held on any green. The winner of this event is based on the player who sinks the longest putt on a designated green.
Rules Sheet and Scoring
The tournament staff will provide a rules sheet prior to tee off to all participants. The rules sheet contains all necessary information for your guests, such as the day’s format, contests, food and beverage locations and where to turn in their score card.
Following your Equinox Golf Event, our professional staff will score your tournament, and provide a complete tournament summary of all contests. . Please notify the tournament staff if you will be in need of scoring for your event.
Event Merchandise and Gift Certificates
Event Merchandise: The Golf Club at Equinox will assist you with all your merchandise needs. All items can easily be embroidered with your corporate logo or event title. We have a preferred tournament pricing program with several vendors including: Adidas, Callaway, Greg Norman, and Titleist just to name a few. The staff at Equinox will order, receive and package all your outing tee gifts and prizes, and have it waiting here for your event.
If you need ideas or help pricing your gift items, we are here to assist you in making a great presentation to your guests.
Gift Certificates: A majority of our outings provide gift certificates to the winning teams and contest winners. Many golfers like a certificate as they can pick out their own gift and get something they can really use. The golf shop will remain open after the event to allow players time to redeem their certificates. If the guests fail to redeem their certificates that day, they will have until the end of the season.
On Course Signage Opportunities
The Golf Club at Equinox can take care of any on course advertising for your event and provide signs for tournament sponsors. Once you have provided a list of sponsors, we will have the signs made and delivered to the course. On the day of the event, the tournament staff will place them throughout the golf course.
Food and Beverage
The Dormy Grillrestaurant is a great location for all your food and beverage needs. Once your event is booked, the Equinox staff will coordinate your golf with the catering department.
Whether you choose an awards banquet, luncheon or cocktail party, the conference and catering department will provide a great experience to your event.